Representative Matters: Appellate Practice
- Successfully represented the formed elected and appointed officials of Anne Arundel County to preserve pension benefits awarded to them during their tenures in office against attempt to force reductions in benefits by succeeding elected and appointed officials of the County. Andrews v. Anne Arundel County, Maryland, 114 F. 3rd 1175 (4th Cir. 1997)(per curiam), cert. den. 118 S. Ct. 600 (1997).
- Broadened scope of insurer’s duty to defend and indemnify before the Court of Appeals in Chantel Associates, Chananie v. Mount Vernon Fire Insurance Company, 338 Md. 131, 656 A.2d 779 (1995).
- Represented law firm and lawyer (then President of the Bar Ass’n of Montgomery County, Maryland), in a wrongful levy action against the United States (IRS) to recover sums seized by U.S. from a second law firm with which the client firm had a fee sharing agreement. Bregman, Berbert & Schwartz, LLC v. United States, 145 F.3d 664 (4th Cir. 1998).
- Established that law firm-tenant’s failure to adduce evidence by experts in commercial leases to the effect that landlord’s delay in construction of new space was unreasonable precluded recovery by law firm-tenant. Lenkin-N Limited Partnership v. Nace, 568 A.2d 474 (D.C. App. 1990).
- Determined that in calculating punitive damages, a jury may consider plaintiff’s attorneys’ fees in the underlying case. St. Lukes Evangelical Lutheran Church v. Smith, 318 337, 568 A. 2d 35 (1990).
- Reversed rule requiring strict compliance with notice requirements of the Local Government Tort Claims Act in favor of substantial compliance. Mendelson v. Brown, 371 Md. 154, 807 A.2d 632 (2002).
January 22, 2019
Paley Rothman is pleased to announce that Geonard Butler II and Robert Goodis have both joined its Family Law and Litigation practice groups as Associates.Read More
New law changes method of calculating size for small businesses.Read More
Jeffrey Kolender, Paula Calimafde, and Michelle Chapin were all featured in the most recent edition of the magazine. The feature is in the July/August 2018 edition of Bethesda Magazine. This year, 17 attorneys were listed as the Top Estate Lawyers by their peers, and 8 were selected as Rising Stars.
For the sixth year in a row, Paley Rothman earned national and local honors in US News-Best Lawyers 2018 “Best Law Firms” rankings.
Paley Rothman is pleased to announce that 16 lawyers have been named to the 2018 Edition of Best Lawyers in America. We would like to congratulate the following attorneys named to this year’s list.