Representative Matters: Appellate Practice
- Successfully represented the formed elected and appointed officials of Anne Arundel County to preserve pension benefits awarded to them during their tenures in office against attempt to force reductions in benefits by succeeding elected and appointed officials of the County. Andrews v. Anne Arundel County, Maryland, 114 F. 3rd 1175 (4th Cir. 1997)(per curiam), cert. den. 118 S. Ct. 600 (1997).
- Broadened scope of insurer’s duty to defend and indemnify before the Court of Appeals in Chantel Associates, Chananie v. Mount Vernon Fire Insurance Company, 338 Md. 131, 656 A.2d 779 (1995).
- Represented law firm and lawyer (then President of the Bar Ass’n of Montgomery County, Maryland), in a wrongful levy action against the United States (IRS) to recover sums seized by U.S. from a second law firm with which the client firm had a fee sharing agreement. Bregman, Berbert & Schwartz, LLC v. United States, 145 F.3d 664 (4th Cir. 1998).
- Established that law firm-tenant’s failure to adduce evidence by experts in commercial leases to the effect that landlord’s delay in construction of new space was unreasonable precluded recovery by law firm-tenant. Lenkin-N Limited Partnership v. Nace, 568 A.2d 474 (D.C. App. 1990).
- Determined that in calculating punitive damages, a jury may consider plaintiff’s attorneys’ fees in the underlying case. St. Lukes Evangelical Lutheran Church v. Smith, 318 337, 568 A. 2d 35 (1990).
- Reversed rule requiring strict compliance with notice requirements of the Local Government Tort Claims Act in favor of substantial compliance. Mendelson v. Brown, 371 Md. 154, 807 A.2d 632 (2002).
July 10, 2020
Cristen Rose and Robert Shulman Published an Article On The Connection Between Climate Change Nuisance Suits and Insurance Recovery on Bloomberg Law
Cristen Rose and Robert Shulman published an article titled "INSIGHT: Connecting Climate Change Nuisance Suits to Insurance Recovery" on Bloomberg Law on July 6, 2020.Read More
The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted “business as usual” in many ways. People and businesses have been focusing on safety measures and efforts to maintain financial...Read More
For the eighth year in a row, Paley Rothman earned national and local honors in US News-Best Lawyers 2020 “Best Law Firms” rankings.
Paley Rothman is pleased to announce that 17 lawyers have been named to the 2020 Edition of Best Lawyers in America.
Glenn Cooper was named to the Top 10 Washington D.C. Super Lawyers list. Nine other attorneys were named to the 2020 Washington D.C. Super Lawyers list and four were selected 2020 "Washington D.C. Rising Stars."