Representative Matters: Family Law
- Secured a judgment for $807,500 in back alimony payments and a $275,000 attorney’s fees award for his client after a nine day trial wherein he was able to prove, including through the use of extensive forensic electronic evidence secured from the opposing party’s digital devices, as well as global positioning satellite systems surveillance, that the opposing party had cohabitated in violation of an alimony termination provision contained in the parties’ agreement.
- Achieved a custody award for a father whose infant daughter was secreted and absconded by the family of his deceased fiancé after she died in the Fort Totten Washington, D.C. Metro train crash in an effort to control the infant’s wrongful death claim against WMATA. After three days of trial, Carlos successfully defeated the decedent’s family’s attempts to assassinate his client’s character and reputation despite their hiring three separate law firms to prosecute their claims. Thereafter, he successfully removed the attorney selected as guardian by the extended family’s personal injury lawyers and initially appointed by the Court to oversee the infant’s money.
- Acquired a $16,000 per month alimony award, a $2.4 million monetary award, and an award of attorney’s fees of $350,000 after a 13 day trial.
- Achieved a relocation of custody order permitting his client to move cross-county after his client’s daughter’s father refused to permit his client to take a job outside the state of Maryland. Over three days of trial, presented career and job placement and educational expert testimony on the significance of his client’s unique career opportunity and the comparative quality of the schools in each competing locale.
- Collected liquidated damages ($60,000) for harm to his client’s credit as a result of his former spouse failing to make payments on the former marital home and her car payment.
- Representation of several clients in retaining inherited/trust assets as non-marital property against claims of former spouse that such assets were marital property subject to division by the court.
- Representation of client securing an award of indefinite alimony following appeal, after trial court awarded three years of alimony.
- Successful representation of several clients involving dispute as to the valuation of client’s business interests where the court found the values of the interest to be those pursued on behalf of the client/business owner.
- Representation of parent seeking modification of custodial arrangements and ability to move with the children from Maryland to Midwestern State.