Roy Niedermayer is a member of the firm’s Litigation, Appellate Practice and Government Contracts practice areas. He excels in risk management - he identifies and assesses risk in each of his cases and then discusses alternative strategies in light of probabilities of outcomes to determine what the best cost-benefit course of action is. He may create decision tree analyses, determining what factors affect risk, how to reduce risk, and assigns probability of success. When first meeting with a client, Roy finds out what the client is hoping to achieve and what their goals are - in doing this he understands what success means to them, and can proceed with focusing on the best business decision for his client. He is results-oriented.
Roy is primarily engaged in business counseling, complex commercial litigation involving commercial transactions, business torts, insurance coverage, and indemnity claims, commercial/trade secrets, real estate development and construction, corporate matters. He has represented creditors with claims and on committees in Chapter 11 reorganization and Chapter 7 liquidations, as well as individuals in Chapter 7, 11 and 13 proceedings in federal bankruptcy and state insolvency actions. He also has negotiated out-of-court workouts on behalf of debtors and creditors that often avoid bankruptcy or insolvency altogether. In addition, Roy has extensive experience in estate/trust and probate litigation including will contests. His cases often involve complex, substantial assets, and require creative and tenacious solutions. His skills, judgment, and commitment in these matters makes him a valuable resource to his business clients.
District of Columbia
United States Supreme Court
United States Courts of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, Fourth Circuit, Federal Circuit
United States Court of Federal Claims
United States Tax Court
J.D., Cum Laude, Harvard Law School, 1972
A.B., Summa Cum Laude, Yale University, 1969
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Honors with the highest distinction in History
- Scholar of the House
Best Lawyers in America - Best Lawyers (2020-2023)
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates
Best Law Firms – U.S. News & Best Lawyers
- Tier 3 Metropolitan (D.C. area) Ranking for Litigation - Trusts and Estates
Maryland Super Lawyers (2007-2008, 2010-2018)
Washington D.C. Super Lawyers (2007-2008, 2010-2018)
“Legal Advocacy Award for Civil Rights” from the Anti-Defamation League
Nominated for the American College of Trial Lawyers “Courageous Advocacy” Award
- Paley Rothman Earns National and Local Honors in U.S. News “Best Law Firms” 2023 Rankings
- 19 Paley Rothman Attorneys Selected 2023 Best Lawyers ® in America
- Paley Rothman Earns National and Local Honors in U.S. News “Best Law Firms” 2022 Rankings
- Paula Calimafde Named 2022 Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” in the Washington, D.C. Area and 21 Paley Rothman Attorneys Selected Best Lawyers in America
- Twenty Paley Rothman Attorneys Selected to 2021 Best Lawyers in America
- 17 Paley Rothman Attorneys Named to the 2018 Washington D.C. Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- 17 Paley Rothman Attorneys Named to the 2018 Maryland Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Roy Niedermayer and Art House Honored by Washington SmartCEO
- Roy Niedermayer Appointed Regional Director of Yale Clubs in Washington, D.C.
- Roy Niedermayer Elected to the Governing Board of the Association of Yale Alumni
- Trish Weaver and Roy Niedermayer File Brief in US Supreme Court in Estate Case
"Estate & Trust Litigation Can Be Avoided: It's All in the Planning," co-authored with Wayne Eig, MSBA Bar Bulletin - Estate & Trust Law Focus, 2010
“Demonstrative Evidence: Worth A Thousand Words,” Special Litigation Report of Legal Times, 1994
American Bar Association
Montgomery County Bar Association
Peer Review Committee for the Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland
Board of Governors for the Association of Yale Alumni
Former President of the Yale Club of Washington D.C.
Regional Board of Directors of the Anti-Defamation League
"Simple Wills Educational Seminar for VA, MD & DC" Presenter, Aga Khan Northeast Economic Planning Board, September 2020
"Lease/Rent Negotiations" AGA KHAN Economic Planning Board Northeast Region Presents, June 2020
"Force Majeure and Insurance Coverage Issues During the Pandemic," MSBA Webinar, April 2020
"Senior Financial Abuse: What Bankers Need to Know," First National Bank, August 2017
"Men’s Club Program - Senior Financial Abuse," Congregation Beth El of Montgomery County, March 2017
"Age & Stage Program - Senior Financial Abuse," Congregation Beth El of Montgomery County, November 2016
“Implementing the Estate Plan: Anticipating and Avoiding Litigation,” MICPEL (2009)
After obtaining an AAA arbitration award (a) removing trustees who violated fiduciary duties by dissipation of trust assets and (b) awarding a recovery of $800,000 against the removed trustees, the award was reduced to a judicial judgment in the Circuit Court. The judgment was successfully affirmed on appeal in the Court of Special Appeals, including the award of additional judgment interest to the judgment creditor on a cross-appeal.
Represented personal representative of estate on appeal and obtained affirmation of Montgomery County, MD Orphans’ Court judgment upholding the estate’s denial of $150,000 creditor claim for personal services.